Powell's Books is a bookstore in Portland, Oregon, United States. It has seven locations. It says it is the world's largest independent new and used bookstore in the world with more than one million (1,000,000) books on its shelves. The main store covers an entire city block between West Burnside Street, NW Couch Street, NW 10th and 11th avenues.
Powell's wants to add as much as two floors to the store's southeast corner—at least 10,000 square feet (900 m2). The plan was submitted to the City of Portland to be approved in November 2008.
- "Powell's Books on Burnside". Powell's City of Books. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- History of Powell's Books from the company's website
- "10 Great Places to Crawl Between the Covers". USA Today. January 21, 2002.
- Gunderson, Laura (January 22, 2008). "Powell's plans expansion in two years". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 2009-03-17. Check date values in:
- Nawotka, Edward (January 23, 2008). "PPowell's to Expand Flagship in 2010, Absorb Technical Store". Publisher's Weekly. Retrieved 2009-03-17. Check date values in:
- Brian Libby. "Bestseller or return for refund? Powell's unveils design for new entrance to flagship store". Portland Architecture. Retrieved 2009-03-17.