Valdas Adamkus (born 3 November 1926) is a Lithuanian politician and engineer. He was the President of the Republic of Lithuania. He was born on November 3, 1926 in Kaunas, Lithuania. His birth name was Valdemaras Adamkavičius.
First elected in 1998, he ended his term in office in 2003. When Rolandas Paksas, the new elected president, was impeached and removed by the Lithuanian Parliament in 2004, Adamkus was re-elected. He chose not to run for re-election during the Lithuanian presidential election in 2009. He was succeeded on 12 July 2009 by Dalia Grybauskaitė.
In 1951, he married Alma Adamkienė.
Following the end of his term as president, Adamkus remained involved in international development, and a member of the European Academy of Diplomacy.
- Website of the Lithuanian President Valdas Adamkus (English) (Lithuanian) (Russian)
- The Official Website of the President of the Republic of Lithuania (English)
- Videos of the President of the Republic of Lithuania
- 2005 Interview with a Ukrainian journalist
- Acknowledgement of lifetime achievements at the US EPA
- European Voice – Mister persistent Valdas Adamkus
- Institution of the President of the Republic of Lithuania