|File:Rick riordan 2007.jpg|
Riordan signing copies of The Battle of the Labyrinth on November 3, 2007
|Born||June 5, 1964|
San Antonio, Texas
|Genres||Fantasy, Detective fiction, Mythology|
|Notable work(s)||Percy Jackson and the Olympians series|
Richard Russell "Rick" Riordan, Jr. (born June 5, 1964) is an American author best known for the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. He also wrote the Tres Navarre mystery series for adults and helped to edit Demigods and Monsters, a collection of essays on the topic of his Percy Jackson series. He helped develop the 10 books in The 39 Clues series, published by Scholastic Corporation, and wrote the first book in the series, The Maze of Bones.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Published books
- 2.1 Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series
- 2.2 The 39 Clues
- 2.3 Tres Navarre Series
- 2.4 The Kane Chronicles
- 2.5 Heroes of Olympus Series
- 2.6 The Trials of Apollo Series (Sequel to Heroes of Olympus)
- 2.7 Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Series
- 3 Awards
- 4 References
- 5 Other websites
Life and career
Riordan was born in San Antonio, Texas. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin where he double-majored in English and history. For fifteen years, he taught in public and private schools in California and in San Antonio. He was awarded St. Mary's Hall's first Master Teacher Award in 2002.
Riordan is the multi-award-winning author of the Tres Navarre mystery series for adults; his The Maze of Bones reached number one on the New York Times Best Seller list on September 28, 2008. His Percy Jackson and the Olympians series features a twelve-year-old boy who discovers he is the modern-day son of an ancient Greek god. Film rights were purchased by Twentieth Century Fox and a feature film was released on February 12, 2010. Riordan lives in San Antonio with his wife and their two sons. Recently, Riordan has stated that he is working on a new series based upon the Egyptian pantheon, which then turned out to be The Kane Chronicles, with the first book, The Red Pyramid, to be released May 4, 2010. He also won 13 awards the Anthony Award for Best Paperback Original, the Goodreads Choice Awards Best Middle Grade & Children's ( 5 times 2011-2015 ), Edgar Award for Best Paperback Original ( 5 times 2011-2015 ), Hampshire Book Award, and the Shamus award for best first PI novel!
Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series
- The Lightning Thief – June 28, 2005 hardcover, March 21, 2006 paperback
- The Sea of Monsters – May 3, 2006
- The Titan's Curse – May 1, 2007
- The Battle of the Labyrinth – U.S.A. May 6, 2008, U.K. July 3, 2008
- The Last Olympian – May 5, 2009
Percy Jackson and the Olympians Companion Book(s)
- The Demigod Files – February 10, 2009
- The Demigod Diaries- Unknown
- Demigods and Monsters – February 10, 2009
- The Ultimate Guide – January 19, 2010
The 39 Clues
(Series: 39 clues)
- The Maze of Bones – September 9, 2008
Note: This is the first and last book series written by Rick Riordan, the rest of the books were written by 2 other authors with him.
- Big Red Tequila – June 1997
- Widower's Two-Step – June 1998
- The Last King of Texas – January 2000
- The Devil Went Down to Austin – June 2001
- Southtown – April 2004
- Mission Road – June 2005
- Rebel Island– August 2007
The Kane Chronicles
- The Red Pyramid – May 4, 2010
- The Throne of Fire - May 3, 2011
- The Serpent's Shadow - May 1, 2012
- The Lost Hero – October 12, 2010
- The Son of Neptune - October 4, 2011
- The Mark of Athena - October 2, 2012
- The House of Hades - October 8, 2013
- The Blood of Olympus - October 7, 2014
Note: This book series is the sequel to Percy Jackson & the Olympians.
The Trials of Apollo Series (Sequel to Heroes of Olympus)
- The Hidden Oracle - May 3, 2016
- The Dark Prophecy - May 2, 2017
- The Burning Maze - May 1, 2018
- The Tyrant's Tomb - September 24, 2019
Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Series
- The Sword of Summer - October 6, 2015
- The Hammer of Thor - October 4, 2016
- The Ship of the Dead - October 3, 2017
- Nine from the 9 Worlds - Companion Book - October 2, 2018
- 1998 Shamus Award and Anthony Award for Big Red Tequila
- 1999 Edgar Award for Best Paperback Original for The Widower's Two-Step
- 2008 Mark Twain Award for The Lightning Thief
- 2009 Mark Twain Award for The Sea of Monsters
- 2009 Rebecca Caudill Award for The Lightning Thief
- "About the Author". powells.com. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- Italie, Hillel (September 01, 2008). "'Potter' publisher looks to promote next big thing". FoxNews. Retrieved 2009-04-26. Check date values in:
- "Rick Riordan ID Card". Retrieved 10 February 2010.
- "Rick Riordan". Scholastic. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- "About the Author" (PDF). Hyperion Books for Children. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Big Red Tequila". Powells Bookstore. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- "Children's Books". The New York Times. September 28, 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- "Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" – via www.imdb.com.
- "/404". www.publishersweekly.com.
- "Edgar Allan Poe Awards". book.consumerhelpweb.com. Retrieved 2009-04-26.