|40x40px||The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: reading.|
Reading is what we do when we understand writing.
More fully, it a cognitive process of understanding information represented by printed or written language. It is a way of getting information and insights about something that is written. Reading involves understanding the symbols in that language. It can only be done if one knows the language. Reading and hearing are the two most common ways to get information. Information gained from reading can include entertainment, especially when reading fiction or humor.
Proofreading is a kind of reading that is done to find mistakes in a piece of writing
Directed Reading-Thinking Activity is a method which aims to develop better reading.
- Making predictions/hypothesis about the content, idea, and concepts from the title of the reading material.
- Sectional reading or processing (chunking) of the material.
- Checking the reliability and similarity of the read content with the predictions supported by evidence from the text.
- For better comprehension, to know what and why the text says: review vocabulary, understanding of the main idea, syntax of the sentence, details/facts and sequence of the story, and make inferences about the characters’ attitudes, behaviors or circumstances in the story.
- Make plausible predictions about what the next section will be about in the reading material.
- Russell Stauffer, Language Experience Approach to the Teaching of Reading, New York, Harper & Row, 1970
- Template:Cite book