Portland is the largest city in the U.S. state of Oregon. It is the county seat of Multnomah County. About 538,544 people live in the city of Portland, and about 1,927,881 people live in the city's metropolitan area. It is found in the north part of the state, where the Willamette River meets the Columbia River. Portland has the second most people of any city in the Northwest United States, after the city of Seattle.
Portland has many nicknames. One of these is "The City of Roses," because roses grow well there. Some other nicknames of Portland are "Stumptown" (from the fact that Portland was built over a forest), and "Puddletown" (from the fact that it often rains in Portland).
Many things are from Portland. Some of these things are Powell's Books, Beverly Cleary (and some of her most popular fictional characters, Henry Huggins and Ramona Quimby, which also have statues in the city's Beverly Cleary Sculpture Garden for Children), and the Portland Trail Blazers basketball team.
- "City Home". City of Portland, Oregon. 2017. Retrieved January 2, 2017.
- The highest elevation is at 9936 NW Wind Ridge Dr., Lua error: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.. "City of Portland Urban Services Area". Bureau of Planning and Sustainability. Retrieved October 30, 2015.
- The lowest elevation historically occurred at low water on January 17, 1937 at the confluence of the Columbia and Willamette Rivers Lua error: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.. "Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Portland: Columbia River at Vancouver". Water.weather.gov. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.