Minnehaha County, South Dakota
|Minnehaha County, South Dakota|
|File:Minnehaha County Courthouse 9.jpg|
Minnehaha County Courthouse in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
|Location within South Dakota|
Location within South Dakota
|Template:Infobox U.S. county/map|
South Dakota's location within the U.S.
|Founded||April 5, 1862|
|Largest city||Sioux Falls|
|• Total||814 sq mi (2,107 km2)|
|• Land||810 sq mi (2,097 km2)|
|• Water||4 sq mi (10 km2), 0.49%|
|• Density||Template:Infobox settlement/impus|
|Congressional district||Template:Comma separated entries|
|Time zone||Template:Infobox U.S. county/timezone|
|Template:Infobox U.S. county/timezone|
Minnehaha County is a county in the U.S. state of South Dakota. As of the 2010 census, 169,468 people lived there. It is the most populous county in South Dakota. The county seat of Minnehaha County is Sioux Falls. The county took its name from the Sioux Indian word "Mnihaha" which means "rapid water" or "waterfall." The word is often incorrectly translated as "laughing water." The word was changed to its current spelling to make it easier to pronounce. Minnehaha County is part of the Sioux Falls, SD, Metropolitan Statistical Area.
<tr><td style="text-align:center">1870</td><td style="padding-left:8px">355</td><td></td><td style="padding-left:8px">|
In the 1870 census there were 355 people living in the county.
The county is divided into twenty-four townships: Brandon, Benton, Buffalo, Burk, Clear Lake, Dell Rapids, Edison, Grand Meadow, Hartford, Highland, Humboldt, Logan, Lyons, Mapleton, Palisade, Red Rock, Sioux Falls, Split Rock, Sverdrup, Taopi, Valley Springs, Wall Lake, Wayne, Wellington.
- Moody County, South Dakota - north
- Rock County, Minnesota - east
- Lyon County, Iowa - southeast
- Lincoln County, South Dakota - south
- Turner County, South Dakota - southwest
- McCook County, South Dakota - west
- Lake County, South Dakota - northwest
- Beaver Lake
- Buffalo Lake
- Clear Lake
- Covell Lake
- Fenstrman Slough
- Grass Lake
- Loss Lake
- Lost Lake
- Rehfeldt Slough
- Scott Lake
- Wall Lake
Cities and towns
|Sioux Falls [A]||156,592|
|2011 estimate population|
Other places in Minnehaha County
- A. ^ Sioux Falls is located in both Minnehaha and Lincoln counties.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places in South Dakota". United States Census Bureau. 2013-03-16. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Minnehaha County, South Dakota.|
Lua error: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.