Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Plain text' not found.
The Märkischer Kreis is a district (Kreis) in central North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
The district was created in 1975 as part of the reorganisation of North Rhine-Westphalian districts.
The district is twinned with
Coat of arms
Towns and municipalities
- Altena (20,997)
- Balve (12,200)
- Halver (17,550)
- Hemer (37,790)
- Iserlohn (102,456)
- Kierspe (18,313)
- Lüdenscheid (79,131)
- Meinerzhagen (21,823)
- Menden (58,184)
- Neuenrade (12,402)
- Plettenberg (28,149)
- Werdohl (20,333)
- Herscheid (7,617)
- Nachrodt-Wiblingwerde (6,856)
- Schalksmühle (12,257)
Politics and administration
The district is led by a Landrat. The headquarters of the government of the county are in Lüdenscheid, but there are county halls with parts of the administration in Iserlohn and Altena, too. The police headquarters of the county are in Iserlohn.
- Heinz Bickmann (CDU) - 1975 (provisional)
- Dr. Walter Hostert (CDU) - 1975-1994
- Klaus Tweer (SPD) - 1994-1999
- Aloys Steppuhn (CDU) - since 1999
- Wilfried Droste (SPD) - 1975 (provisional)
- Dr. Jürgen Albath (CDU) - 1975-1986
- Dr. Bernhard Schneider (CDU) - 1986-1999
The county council meets in the county hall in Iserlohn. Its last election was on September 26 2004.