A general election is an election in which all or most members of a given political body are chosen. The term is usually used to mean the elections held for a nation's primary legislative body. This is different from primary elections, by-elections or local elections. In the United Kingdom when Parliament is dissolved every seat in the House of Commons becomes vacant and a general election is held.
List of general elections
- United Kingdom general election, 2001
- United Kingdom 2005 general election
- United Kingdom general election 2015
- United Kingdom general election, 2017
- "general election". Dictionary.com, LLC. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "Primary Election Versus General Election: Definition & Differences". Study.com. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "General elections". parliament.uk. Retrieved 10 June 2016.