- Provision of clean water and air
- Flood control
- Pollination of crops
- Mitigation of environmental hazards
- Pest and disease control
- Carbon sequestration
- Aesthetic, cultural and ethical values associated with biodiversity.
The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment released in 2005 showed that 60% of ecosystem services are used in a way that destroys them.
- Ecosystem Services: A Primer, Ecological Society of America (ESA)
- The New Economy of Nature: The Quest to Make Conservation Profitable (Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn".), Gretchen C. Daily and Katherine Ellison.
- Ecosystem Services: Backgrounder, The Ecosystem Marketplace