This article does not have any sources. (November 2012)
The city of Dubai is the largest and most populated city in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the capital city of the emirate of Dubai, UAE. The city is sometimes called "Dubai City" to prevent it from being mixed up with the emirate.
There are records of the town of Dubai from 1799. The city was a dependent of Abu Dhabi until 1833. The town of Dubai was an important port of call for foreign tradesmen (chiefly Indians), who settled in the town. Until the 1930s, the town was known for its pearls.
- Burj Khalifa
- Burj al-Arab
- Palm Jumeirah
- Dubai International Airport, is located in the middle of the city.
- Dubai Mall, is one of the largest malls in the world.
- The World (archipelago)
- Atlantis, The Palm
Dubai has a hot desert climate. Summers are extremely hot, windy, and humid. The highest recorded temperature in the UAE is 52.1 °C (126 °F), recorded in July 2002.
Dubai has strict rules like:
- The drinking age is 21. Drinking in public or being drunk in public are not tolerated.
- Offensive language, spitting, aggressive behaviour and smoking outside designated areas are not tolerated.
- Public displays of affection such as holding hands or kissing are not tolerated.
- Men should avoid staring at local women or attempting to make eye contact.
- During Ramadan while Muslims are fasting from sunrise to sunset, non-Muslims can only eat and drink in screened-off areas.