These laws are usually concerned
- Protecting data about people;
- Hacking computer systems;
- Protecting copyright and patents.
- Censorship of the internet
- Health and safety
Legislation and laws in various countries
- Privacy Act 1988 - concerns data about people
- Copyright Act 1968
- Copyright Amendment (Digital Agenda) Act 2000
- Criminal Code of Canada
- Bundesdatenschutzgesetz BDSG (Federal Data Protection Act) - concerns data about people
- 202(c) - anti hacking legislation
- FISMA (Federal Information Security Management Act) - describes how government organisations should handle data about people
- GLBA (Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act) - describes how financial organisations should handle data about people
- HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) - describes how medical insurance organisations should handle data about people
- Data Security Act 2007
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1998
- USA PATRIOT Act 2002
- Identity Theft Enforcement and Restitution Act
- Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- The Data Protection Act 1998 - will prevent people's information getting spread around the world, preventing the likeliness of crimes toward said person.
- The Computer Misuse Act 1990 - covers hacking with amendments that were added later.
- The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 - covers copyright.
- The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 - covers central and local government looking at workers' email security etc.
- The Communications Act 2003 is often used when people send offensive emails etc.
- The Digital Economy Act 2010 - covers software piracy.
- The Malicious Communication Act 1988 - Covers sending mail, physical or electronic, with the intent of causing distress or anxiety.