Charioteer of Delphi
It was discovered in the sanctuary of Apollo at Delphi during excavations by French archaeologists in 1896. With the statue were found fragments of a sculpted chariot, sculpted horses, and a small, sculpted person, presumably the charioteer's groom. All would have been part of a large monument. The charioteer monument was commissioned by Polyzalos, a Sicilian tyrant, to commemorate his victory in the chariot races about 477 BC. At some point, according to Greek practice, the statue was buried, probably because of irreparable damage.
- Wagenlenker von Delphi Gesicht.jpg
- Delphi Museum 09 Wagenlenker.jpg
- Houser, Caroline (1983), Greek Monumental Bronze Sculpture, Vendome Press, pp. 21–22