|Bacillus subtilis, Gram stained|
Under stressful conditions, they produce endospores. These are not true spores, but like survival pods they can stay in a dormant state for long periods.
Some species of Bacillus are worth noting:
- Bacillus anthracis, which causes Anthrax.
- Bacillus subtilis is considered an model organism. It is often used in genetic engineering.
- Bacillus cereus which is responsible for a form of food poisoning.
- Bacillus thuringensis which is used in pest control. It produces a toxin which can kill some moths, and certain butterflies.
- Bacillus anthracis Gram.jpg
- Bacillus subtilis Gram.jpg
- Bacillus cereus Gram.jpg
- Turnbull P.C.B. 1996. Bacillus. In: Baron S. et al (eds) Barron's medical microbiology. 4th ed, Univ of Texas Medical Branch. Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn". 
- Graumann P (ed) 2012. Bacillus: cellular and molecular biology. 2nd ed, Caister Academic Press. Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn".