Augustine of Hippo (354 - 430) was a Christian philosopher and theologian.
- On the Catechising of the Uninstructed
- On Faith and the Creed
- Concerning Faith of Things Not Seen
- On the Profit of Believing
- On the Creed: A Sermon to Catechumens
- On Continence
- On the Good of Marriage
- On Holy Virginity
- On the Good of Widowhood
- On Lying
- To Consentius: Against Lying
- On the Work of Monks
- On Patience
- On Care to be Had For the Dead
- On the Morals of the Catholic Church
- On the Morals of the Manichaeans
- On Two Souls, Against the Manichaeans
- Acts or Disputation Against Fortunatus the Manichaean
- Against the Epistle of Manichaeus Called Fundamental
- Reply to Faustus the Manichaean
- Concerning the Nature of Good, Against the Manichaeans
- On Baptism, Against the Donatists
- Answer to Letters of Petilian, Bishop of Cirta
- The Correction of the Donatists
- Merits and Remission of Sin, and Infant Baptism
- On the Spirit and the Letter
- On Nature and Grace
- On Man's Perfection in Righteousness
- On the Proceedings of Pelagius
- On the Grace of Christ, and on Original Sin
- On Marriage and Concupiscence
- On the Soul and its Origin
- Against Two Letters of the Pelagians
- On Grace and Free Will
- On Rebuke and Grace
- The Predestination of the Saints/Gift of Perseverance
- Our Lord's Sermon on the Mount
- The Harmony of the Gospels
- Sermons on Selected Lessons of the New Testament
- Tractates on the Gospel of John
- Homilies on the First Epistle of John
- The Enarrations, or Expositions, on the Psalms
- On the Immortality of the Soul
- aka The Story of Philosophy, Dorling Kindersley Publishing, 2001, Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn".
- (subtitled on cover: The Essential Guide to the History of Western Philosophy)
- g Saint Augustine, pages 30, 144; City of God 51, 52, 53 and The Confessions 50, 51, 52
- - additional in the Dictionary of the History of Ideas for Saint Augustine and Neo-Platonism
In the arts
- Indie/rock band Band of Horses have a song called "St. Augustine". It seems that the song speaks of somebody's desire for fame and recognition, rather than their desire for truth.
- Christian rock band Petra dedicated a song to St. Augustine called "St. Augustine's Pears". It is based on one of Augustine's writings in his book "Confessions" where he tells of how he stole some neighbor's pears without being hungry, and how that petty theft haunted him through his life.
- Jon Foreman, lead singer and songwriter of the alternative rock band Switchfoot wrote a song called "Something More (Augustine's Confession)", based after the life and book, "Confessions", of Augustine.
- For his 1993 album "Ten Summoner's Tales", Sting wrote a song entitled "Saint Augustine in Hell", with lyrics 'Make me chaste, but not just yet' alluding to Augustine's famous prayer, 'Grant me chastity and continence, but not yet'.
- Bob Dylan, for his 1967 album John Wesley Harding penned a song entitled "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine" (also covered by Thea Gilmore in her 2002 album Songs from the Gutter.). The song's opening lines ("I dreamed I saw Saint Augustine / Alive as you or me") are likely based on the opening lines of " I Dreamed I Saw Joe Hill Last Night", a song crafted in 1936 by Earl Robinson detailing the death of the famous American labor-activist who, himself, was an influential songwriter.
- Roberto Rossellini directed the film "Agostino d'Ippona" (Augustine of Hippo) for Italy's RAI-TV in 1972.
- Alternative rock band Sherwood's album "Sing, But Keep Going" references a famous quote attributed to St. Augustine on the inside cover.
- After being unintentionally baptised by Ned Flanders in episode '3F01' - "Home Sweet Home - Diddily-Dum-Doodily", Homer Simpson says, "Oh, Bartholomew, I feel like St. Augustine of Hippo after his conversion by Ambrose of Milan."
- Brown, Peter. Augustine of Hippo. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1967. Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn".
- Gareth B. Matthews. Augustine. Blackwell, 2005. Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn".
- O'Donnell, James J. Augustine: A New Biography. New York: HarperCollins, 2005. Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn".
- Ruickbie, Leo. Witchcraft Out of the Shadows. London: Robert Hale, 2004. Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn"., pp. 57–8.
- Tanquerey, Adolphe. The Spiritual Life: A Treatise on Ascetical and Mystical Theology. Reprinted Ed. (original 1930). Rockford, IL: Tan Books, 2000. Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn"., p. 37.
- von Heyking, John. Augustine and Politics as Longing in the World. Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 2001. Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn".
- Orbis Augustinianus sive conventuum O. Erem. S. A. chorographica et topographica descriptio Augustino Lubin, Paris, 1659, 1671, 1672.
- Regle de St. Augustin pour les religieuses de son ordre; et Constitutions de la Congregation des Religieuses du Verbe-Incarne et du Saint-Sacrament (Lyon: Chez Pierre Guillimin, 1662), pp. 28–29. Cf. later edition published at Lyon (Chez Briday, Libraire,1962), pp. 22–24. English edition, The Rule of Saint Augustine and the Constitutions of the Order of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament (New York: Schwartz, Kirwin, and Fauss, 1893), pp. 33–35.
- Template:Cite book
- Template:Cite book
- René Pottier. Saint Augustin le Berbère. Fernand Lanore, 2006. Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn".
- Template:Cite book Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn".
- Template:Cite book Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn". Template:Catalog lookup linkScript error: No such module "check isxn". Preview from Google
- Texts by Augustine:
- Texts on Augustine:
- On Music
- On Original Sin ask Dan Santos
- Links to the Augustinian Order
- Audio books
- Augustine and Orthodoxy