Coat of arms of Abingdon
The River Thames at Abingdon looking towards St. Helen's parish church
|Lua error in Module:Location_map at line 502: Unable to find the specified location map definition: "Module:Location map/data/United Kingdom Oxfordshire" does not exist.|
|Abingdon-on-Thames shown within Oxfordshire|
|Area||9.09 km2 (3.51 sq mi)|
|Population||33,130 (2011 Census)|
|• Density||3,645/km2 (9,440/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||62.6 miles (100.7 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|Website||Abingdon Town Council|
Abingdon is a town in England. It is in the Thames Valley in southern England, 5.5 miles (8.9 km) south of Oxford. It is the seat (place of the government) of the Vale of White Horse district in Oxfordshire. Abingdon was once the county town of Berkshire. It is one of several places which claim to be Britain's oldest occupied town.
Abingdon is at a place where people were able to easily cross the Thames. The area has been lived in since the Bronze Age. The bridge over the Thames at Abingdon is more than 550 years old. Work started on the bridge in 1416, and it replaced an old wooden bridge.
The Abingdon Abbey was built in 675 AD by the Benedictines who called it Abbandun. By 1538 it was the sixth richest abbey in Britain. Most of it was destroyed after 1538 when King Henry VIII closed the monasteries. The gatehouse and several smaller buildings are still standing.
There is a market in Abingdon every Monday, which first started in 1556. A canal was built in 1810 to join Abingdon to other towns including London, Bristol and Birmingham. The canal was in use until 1906.
The MG motor cars were made in Abingdon for 50 years until the factory closed in 1980. However the headquarters of the MG Car Club are still in the town.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abingdon, Oxfordshire.|