|Map of Japan with Ōita highlighted|
|Area (rank)||6,338.82 km² (24th)|
|- % water||0.7%|
|Population (Oct 1, 2005)|
|- Population||1,209,587 (34th)|
|- Density||191 /km²|
|- Flower||Bungo-ume blossom (Prunus mume var. bungo)|
|- Tree||Bungo-ume tree (Prunus mume var. bungo)|
|- Bird||Japanese white-eye (Zosterops japonica)|
| Symbol of Ōita Prefecture|
Symbol of Ōita Prefecture
|Template ■ Discussion|
- 1184 (Juei 3): Usa Shrine was destroyed by fire in Gempei War.
- November 19, 1274 (Bun'ei 11, 20th day of the 10th month): Battle of Bun'ei
- August 15, 1281 (Kōan 4, 30th day of the 7th month): Battle of Kōan
- 2002 (Heisei 15): FIFA World Cup in Ōita
Ōita Prefecture is on the north-eastern section of the island of Kyūshū.
Ōita is faces the Suo Channel and Honshū Island to the north. The prefecture looks towards the Iyo Channel and Shikoku Island to the east. It is bordered by Miyazaki Prefecture to the south. Fukuoka Prefecture and Kumamoto Prefecture are to the west.
Towns and villages
National Parks are established in about 28% of the total land area of the prefecture.
Shrines and Temples
Fukiji Temple has the oldest wooden structure in Kyushu.
- Provinces of Japan
- Prefectures of Japan
- List of regions of Japan
- List of islands of Japan
- Oita Trinita
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2002). "Ōita-ken" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 742; Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), Oita Prefecture, Regional Information; retrieved 2012-4-6.
- Nussbaum, "Ōita" at p. 742.
- Nussbaum, "Provinces and prefectures" at p. 780.
- Oita Municipal Guide Book, History of Ōita; retrieved 2012-2-9.
- Davis, Paul K. (2001). 100 decisive battles: from ancient times to the present, pp. 145-147; History of Ōita; the noun "Bun'ei" means the Japanese era name (nengō) for a time period started in February 1264 and ended in April 1275
- Davis, p. 147; History of Ōita; the noun "Kōan" means the Japanese era name for a time period which started in February 1278 and ended in April 1288.
- Japan Ministry of the Environment, "General overview of area figures for Natural Parks by prefecture"; retrieved 2012-3-13.
- "Nationwide List of Ichinomiya," p. 3; retrieved 2012-2-9.
- Official Ōita Prefecture website (English), (Japanese)
- O-net Magazine
- Oita International Wheelchair Marathon Site
Lua error: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.